Friday, March 10, 2006

Finally, 'tis upon us

....5 hours to go!!! After the long months of winter testing, not to mention the long 2005 season, here I am, all excited for the start of season 2006. Excited and scared after the scarring of the last season, I should say.

Unfortunately, Renault seem to have picked up from where they left last time around. I was thrilled to see that they weren't close to the top of the timesheets during Fri practise, but the verdict seemed to be unanimous....'some teams decided not to show true potential today'. Usually, that would refer to my beloved Schumeister's Ferrari. But then, in the world of F1, where change is the only contant (banal but true), this time around, it is the Alonso piloted Renault that everyone is wary of.

And Honda seem to be mixing quite well at the top. Button-mania has been a sidescript to every F1 race for the past 5 years. However, this season, it could very well steal a lot of the headlines. Not exactly something that I am looking forward to....

Ice-Cool and Cry-Baby are very public that the McLaren is not upto the mark. The cynic in me says that this is nothing but sandbagging. However, the optimist says that with Newey's departure to Red Bull, the McBoys are up against it. We'll soon know.

Meanwhile, the Schumeister has been at it for much longer during the off season than ever before. And he has been quietly optimistic of the 248F1. Based on my observation, the 248F1's pace can't be doubted....however, it's fragility makes it seem like it was borrowed from the McLaren garage. I, for one, am chewing my nails as ever. But hold on.....that's not necessarily a bad omen for the tifosi. I did that during 2002 and 2004 also!

Anyway, as always, here's hoping for some great races, lots of overtaking, mindless controversies and of course.....lots of rain. Gentlemen, let the engines VVVVRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!

No comments: