Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Not so elusive 2800

When I read that Sasikaran/Humpy/Ganguly/Harikrishna came in 4th with a plus 1 score (or whatever), my immediate reaction is to congratulate them for doing so well in a Russia domimated sport. Vishy though, evokes completely different reactions. I resorted to privately calling him 'permanent bridesmaid' when he came in 2nd at the World Chess Championship (WCC) last year to Topalov.

With Kasparov out of the way, and Kramnik not really in the picture, I thought that Vishy's time at the top had just begun. Afterall, the others, Topolav/Ivanchuck and co were secondary in my mind to our great Vishy. I conveniently dismissed Topolav tying Kasparov at Linares 2005 as a one-off. Thus, Topalov's spectacular victory at the WCC was quite a rude shock to me, leading to some unfair criticism of Vishy.

With Ind-Pak cricket being a dull affair during the first two tests, the privilege of my 'first web visit of the day' invariably went to rediff-sports. And Vishy kept me happy by playing aggressively (as always) and winning (as almost always) with the black pieces (this is new!). Topalov's loss to Adams cleared the path to victory....or, so I thought.

However, the name of Kamsky made me quiver ever so slightly. The 1994 debacle in the Candidates Chess Championship is an ever lasting scar, in spite of the thrashing meted out later at the PCA Candidates finals, when they played for the right to challenge Kasparov. And sure enough, my worst fears came true with last placed Kamsky beating leader Vishy, enabling Mr.Topalov to catch up.

After which, Topalov was either sole or joint leader through the rest of the tournament, forcing Vishy to fight back. When round 12 between the leaders was a tame draw, I used the bridesmaid remark once again and shut out the Corus tournament from my mind. You see, in my achievement laden life, second place just wasn't worth a web visit.

It was past mid-day when I actually went to rediff Sports, more out of habit than anything else. And I notice that the AUS Open headlines was bumped off the top by our very own Vishy. Turns out that against some mighty defending by Gelfand, sheer genius found a way (much like 'Life found a way' in Jurassic Park).

And what more, due to more victories with black pieces, Vishy is crowned champion for the 5th time at Corus! AND THEN.....for the first time ever, Vishy broke through the magical 2800 Elo mark!!!...after performing at over 2850 at this tournament. Shamelessly, without any remorse, I enjoyed and savoured the historical moment and continue to do so. What an easy life this is!!!

ohhh and btw...in case you didnt know, Vishy is a fellow Don Bosco dude!!! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, so much has happened...The last I remember of chess was that incredible kasparov vs deep blue fight – that was the ultimate man over machines battle for me...I do like a sport where man is competing against the machine, as opposed to getting favors from it ;)

Ahhh, good going vishy!!! he was such a phenomenon (I don’t mean any ridicule by the past tense, jus that I haven’t followed it in a long time; too besotted with the “mindless” sports right now, and looks like they’re more my cuppa tea too ;))

Dream Sporting said...

That one was indeed incredible! Though, 'retiring' Deep Blue when Kasparov wanted a re-match was a huge letdown. A motivated, prepared vengeance seeking Kasparov taking on Deep Blue would have been perfect for chess. Damn IBM!

Vishy was, is and will continue to do well. He has completely mastered the art of rapid chess and rules supreme. In classical, Topalov has made some rapid...or should it be classical?...huge strides and is rated above Vishy for the moment. Hopefully, the Corus event should pave the way for Vishy to hold sway over Topalov.