Wednesday, October 17, 2007

witty Jack inspires

It was one of those pleasant, leisurely evenings. Not having much to do, or watch on TV, I played the DVD of Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl on my laptop. I have this habit of watching some of my favorite movies repeatedly. Actually, watching is not the right word. Hearing would be. What I do is, continue browsing, as the movie is being played. This is one of the clearest symptoms of the disease called "compulsive multi-tasking" that I suffer from. Other manifestations include online chatting and talking on the phone at the same time, with browsing mixing in with either or sometimes both. Another is watching TV and browsing at the same time. Now that I look at it, "compulsive browsing" would be a more accurate medical term for my disease. Anyway, in spite of having seen the movie several times previously, the mood today was just right for me to enjoy the very many witty repartees of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Over the years, I've heard first hand tales that movies inspire viewers who are strongly influenced by it, to perform certain deeds or accomplish difficult tasks. Movies have left strong impressions on me. But I don't recall myself putting any of those to good use. So, I've always been cynical of the idea. Not anymore.

While reveling in listening to the movie, I was inclined to send across the following exchange to a friend of mine.

Will: You cheated. In a fair fight, I'd kill you!
Jack: That's not much incentive for me to fight fair, then, is it?!
(Jack swings the mast overboard, which takes Will with it. Following which he hands out some of the truest philosophy in the simplest of words)
Jack: As long as you are hanging in there, listen! The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do.

Sometime later, with the movie still on, I was involved in a chat on gmail with another friend of mine. The discussion was fairly serious. Fairly 'immigration'al, actually. Further, we got around to discussing about his workplace and a recent feedback he received from his manager. The exchange went thus...

Bicker: They also said that my "thought patterns" for problem solving were impressive. I don't know where that came from.
Me: "Thought patterns" usually originate in the brain. So, in your case, I don't know either!

It just rolled off the fingers. I didn't blink, neither did I need to think. He never knew what hit him. Not until it slid down his head, to his back, all the way down and bit him in the butt. What was he thinking, handing me a bait like that?! In the mood I was in, the Spanish armada couldn't have stopped me. Now, I presume that my induction into wit's Hall of Fame is just a matter of time.

One could say, that I struck gold today. Though, Bicker would say that I was probably struck by gold today. Either way, it was fun.

No comments: